|Gaze into the Face of Giant Dredd!|
The site itself - a Pontins, totally rented out for the weekender, was pretty basic, if I'm being honest, but most of the time we were in the chalets we were asleep, spending as much time as possible in the warm, dry, and well-connected central area. We did have an exciting moment when the toilet door lock broke, trapping one of us inside but we got a fast response from the site management team and that was fixed pretty promptly. I think the only real site-related complaint I'd have (and it's a minor one) was that the fencing off of the main void in the early evenings to reconfigure it meant that the indoor cut-throughs to ongoing events in the Screening Area and the Pub were also blocked off, and which was a bit cruel in the cold, rainy conditions.
|Cosplay Troll. One of the best|
costumes I saw there.
Panel Highlights for me have to the "Just a Minute" Panel, hosted by a slightly Phillip K Dick obsessed Paul Cornell, which was hilarious, and the Flash Fiction Panel of which I shall only say "Unicorn Sandwich". You had to have been there, and if you were, you will never forget. The more thoughtful panels I saw tended to wander around the point a little bit - often interesting, but with out the up-temp focus of the more game-show styled ones.
We saw three "big quest" Q&As, which were all great, but I think most would agree that Big Hairy Man-God Brian Blessed stole the show with a blazing and thundering display of Brian Blessed-ness. He was overwhelmingly funny, and larger-than-life, and played the audience like a pro, leaving a packed Main Void desperate for more. The other two - a very laid back and funny Sylvester McCoy, and Toby Whithouse's thoughtful and informative Being Human panel, were also pretty great, but honestly pretty eclipsed.
|Giant Dancing Robot Invades|
Any other highlights? Well:
- I had to flee the Black Library stall after saying that the only BL author I read was Sandy Mitchell, then realising that Dan Abnett was stood next to me.
- Buying a Sarah Pinnington novel just to find out if it has the same mucky sense of humour she displayed on both panels I saw her on.
- Our team coming joint 16th in the Blastermind Quiz! Woot!
- The Buffy Sing-Along being surprisingly packed and fun.
- And I can't work out if I find the oddly condescending attitude of some of the security staff funny or not...!
And more. But I can't remember it all!
But it was great - and we're already booked for next year!